Skip to main content

WomanChrist: The 30th Anniversary Edition


A few weeks after my novel, Widow's Walk, was released I was visiting with my neighbor, Cecile. She was curious  about one of my first published books, WomanChrist, and asked if I had a copy. I did. It was a second-hand Amazon.com copy, rather battered, with a sticky-note inside the cover that read:

 “Cheryl--yes, this book is Really weird! (I had no idea when I bought it 😊) But bear with it—she has a lot of good ideas about being a woman today while also being Religious. Hope you enjoy it— (it’s not just to skip around and browse through)!!”

Cecile might get a laugh out of that, I thought. Her reaction after reading the book was, “This is your best book! It’s so current. How could you have written this all those years ago? It’s actually prophetic.” She was the first one who told me to republish it.

It had been written on my very first computer, more like a glorified typewriter and neither DOS-based nor Windows-based. I had only the published book; if I intended to publish a new edition, I would need to retype the entire thing. Okay. I started typing. After weeks of typing, I reached Part Two, and breathed a sigh of relief. That weekend Microsoft downloaded a massive update which collided with my virus program and wiped out my entire project. Must be a sign, I thought, and gave up. The next weekend, at Art Presence, a gallery where I've done readings, I was talking with Hannah West, a web designer in Jacksonville, Oregon, who listened to my woes and suggested that she might be able to scan the entire published book into an MS Word format. I was back in business.

(The following is from the Introduction in the new edition) 

M
ore than thirty-five years have passed since I began writing WomanChrist, and it has been out of print for many of those years. From time to time, though, people have reminded me of the power it exercised and not just in its early years. When Harper, San Francisco offered me a contract for it, I confess that I was quite overwhelmed. Somehow during the excitement of acknowledgment by a major publisher, plus my conviction that this vision was one needing to be shared, I failed to consider how controversial it would be.
              The book was not yet released when I took galley proofs with me to a retreat for professional women ministers in Grailville, Kentucky. The participants represented a variety of Christian denominations from Catholic through both liberal and conservative Protestants. Those of a more Fundamentalist belief system tolerated me—for a while. Then a group of them took me aside for my first real dressing down. Listening to these women who were devoted to their own Christian faith as I was to my own, I realized what a gulf existed between basic conclusions we had drawn about the meaning our differences presented for the world in which we, as women, lived. I had upset them in a radical way even just by the word, WomanChrist. It was heresy in their eyes. They said I was more Pagan than Christian, and I really should not be leading the retreat.
            They weren’t the last. After the book was published I was invited to give the keynote lecture to the pastoral ministers in the Archdiocese of Minneapolis/St. Paul. All went well at the talk, but not long afterwards a conservative Catholic organization brought their concerns to an auxiliary bishop there who condemned me and the book in the diocesan newspaper. I countered with an op-ed of my own. The bishop relented just a bit by admitting he hadn’t read the book himself! Something about this book really rankled some folks.
            Other people saw it as profoundly significant. Deep in the winter of 1988 I was asked because of my authorship of WomanChrist to participate in an international seminar on Catholic feminist theology and social justice. We met in St. Paul, Minnesota, at the College of St. Catherine, to engage in study and discussion of women’s issues based on our research, theological study, personal experience, and professional ministry. Two bishops from the United States joined us as listeners. The participants came mostly from the Americas (North, Central, South and Canada). Africa also was represented. At last, I mused, we are making an impact—we’re on the edge of deep and lasting change.
            It was a beginning, I think now, wondering what each of those talented and active women took back to their communities from our discussions, even sometimes our inability to reconcile our differences. The world is vast, and change takes more time than I imagined.
            In 1998 I was writing my first novel, Altar Music, and belonged to one of the first Internet lists discussing the role of women in the churches. Suddenly it seemed I was someone they knew. These women had read WomanChrist which had been in print by then for over ten years. They were women in the trenches, most of them hiding there, keeping silent about their church’s treatment of them over the years. “That book saved my life,” one woman wrote. Another woman, hoping that women’s ordination would arrive soon in the Roman Catholic tradition as it had for the Episcopalian women, graduated from seminary at the head of her class, but had to be satisfied with carrying the cross at the head of a procession of her classmates, then step aside as they entered the sanctuary to be ordained.
            Just as at the seminar, there were women from around the world on that list, and for most of us it was our first experience of the Internet and being able to share our frustrations as well as our wisdom beyond the boundaries of home, church, and neighborhood. They critiqued my novel, and I shared in discussions about WomanChrist.
            After the book went out of print, and then was available only in the second-hand market, I continued in other ways to live and share the vision I’d written so many years before. I began to make distance between myself and the church as an institution which still blocked our gifts from being shared. In 2010, though, I was asked to give a retreat on Spirituality and Beauty. I agreed.
            Just a few days before the retreat a priest, the other half of the retreat team, came to me with a question: “Are you a believer in Jesus Christ?”
            “What?” Why in the world would he ask me such a thing? We’d worked together on the content of this retreat, and he had to know the answer to that question so well he should not have needed to ask it.
            He told me, somewhat apologetically, that a group of women had come to him, complaining about my qualifications for leadership. They had looked me up on the Internet and found WomanChrist along with all Google’s references to the book and to various people’s interpretations and judgments about it. It seemed to appeal to groups these women considered not only “not Catholic,” but heretical. Might it be dangerous for them to read what I’d written or listen to lectures I might give?  I was pretty sure that, like the bishop back in the 1980s, these frightened and angry people hadn’t read the book, nor considered the reliability of their Internet source. The priest shrugged, saying he’d picked up a used copy and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. It seemed orthodox enough to him. Together we gave the retreat, and I’m pretty sure none of the dissenters attended.
            WomanChrist remains controversial.  

The paperback is now available at Amazon.com and at CreateSpace.com. 
Click on WomanChrist


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Generosity of Readers

The light and shadow, solidity and wisp, Autumn. I had more brilliant pictures of Fall color more intense than any here since I arrived eighteen years ago. But this one captures best the complexity of my readers' comments and the effect they have had on my re-write of Widow's  Walk. Five talented and generous people have now read my first draft, and a few more are right in the middle of it. Already their comments are giving the narrative more depth and filling it in where I took too much for granted. I spend from three days to a week or more with each reader, returning to the narrative through their eyes, listening as deeply as is possible for me to their questions, suggestions, confusions, reactions. Each reader has his or her unique gift that motivated me to request their assistance, from personal experience with the flow and content in this novel, to a particularly accomplished sense of literary structure, to a creative ability with language, to a habit of reading contem

WIDOW'S WALK IS PUBLISHED

I    Have Always Been With You Artist: Shiloh Sophia WIDOW'S WALK, A NOVEL · FRIDAY, JANUARY 5, 2018 A sense of loss followed me like a shadow all my life. Real loss. Actual dead and gone kind of loss. Maybe it’s like that for everyone; who can know unless they tell you? From early childhood I knew I’d have to do something about this haunting or it would eat me up. There’s an old 16 mm film of me as a three-year-old circling the tiny grave of a bird that died--a tiny yellow chicken that my neighbor Minnie Osborn gave me from her coop. I’m performing a kind of ritual, like a priest circling the altar with incense. You can see the tears on my cheeks. As life goes on we lose a lot of who and what we love, those people and things that make us what we are. Maybe every experience of love continues as a part of us. Maybe we are made of the bits and pieces of the content of every moment we’ve lived--all we’ve seen and heard and touched and smelled, every gaze, embrace,